23 Jul The Lowdown on Mini Dental Implants
For patients looking for a more affordable and less invasive dental implants alternative, mini dental implants may be recommended. Mini dental implants, like the name implies, are smaller compared to the standard implant.
According to the Journal of Oral Implantology, mini dental implants are around 1.8 to 3.3 mm in diameter and 10 to 15 mm long. Standard implants on the other hand are 3.4 to 5.8 mm wide.
In most cases, mini dental implants are used to anchor dentures in place to achieve a stable and more secure restoration. Many patients observe that implant-retained dentures look and feel more like their natural teeth.
While slightly smaller in form, mini dental implants share the same structure as regular implants. As described in the Mini Dental Implant Centers of America (MDICA), mini implants have 2 parts: a socket that attaches the tooth to the post and a titanium post with a ball on the end.
Mini dental implants are able to support most types of replacement teeth like bridges, dentures, and fixed crowns. They are also considered suitable for securing lower arch and loose dentures.
Standard Dental Implants Versus Mini Dental Implants
Getting regular dental implants can require several months and will entail at least two dental appointments. Other patients on the other hand might need additional visits for bone grafting. Bone grafting is needed to supply enough bone that can support the implant posts.
Other patients might not be qualified to undergo invasive surgery. There are also some who have lost too much bone mass in the jaw to be qualified to receive a full-sized dental implant. In similar scenarios, mini implants are considered the next best alternative.
If you are considering getting mini dental implants, consider it best to check with your dentist first. Your dentist would be able to help you decide if it is indeed the best option available at your disposal.
Advantages of Mini Dental Implants
As mentioned earlier, mini dental implants might be recommended for patients who want a less invasive alternative to the standard implants. Fortunately, apart from being less invasive, mini dental implants also offer other amazing benefits including:
- Shorter healing period – since the mini dental process is less invasive compared to the standard dental implant, shorter healing time is also required
- Affordable – mini dental implants understandably cost lesser compared to the standard dental implants
- Faster tooth replacement process – since mini dental implants can be attached to the dentures in a day, patients are able to enjoy faster tooth replacement
- Added comfort and ease – when used to anchor dentures, mini implants allow patients to eat, speak, and chew with much ease and without worrying about their dentures slipping
- Helps prevent bone loss – just like standard implants, mini implants can also help prevent bone loss after tooth loss. This helps ensure the facial shape and volume is maintained
Caring for Mini Dental Implants
Mini dental implants will require the same care as natural teeth. That means flossing at least once a day and brushing at least twice daily using a soft-bristled toothbrush is considered ideal.